Friday, March 11, 2011

So sad...

Unfortunately it takes tragic events to let us see that what we think is important in life may not really be. Today news came to us that Japan has had its worst earthquake there ever. The earthquake then caused a tsunami which has affected the West Coast of the US. I look at the pictures and it seems surreal. Almost like a scene out of an action thriller or something. But then I can tell it isn't. You see the fear on people's faces. You see their lives being disrupted. It's so sad.
It makes me think back of the tsunami in 2004 and the Haitian earthquake from last year. We could only hope that things like this stop occurring in our lifetime but it won't. It seems to be getting worst. So many people lost their lives in these events.  Watching the Japanese at the airport on the rooftop reminded me of Hurricane Katrina. New Orleans is still rebuilding from that. I hope Japan will not have as many issues as that.
We go to sleep at night thinking everything is fine because we are in our lovely beds with our comfortable clothes. While we are gong to bed half of the world is waking up getting ready to go to work or wherever. And then in the middle of the night for us, but the middle of the day a whole country's life changes. It doesn't matter the time or the country. What matters is how the rest of the world comes to support the country in need. Once it was the US. Actually, more than once it was the US. Interesting how we feel our lives do not affect others and are not affected by others. It takes something drastic and horrible to show us just how wrong we were.
Seeing such tragedies lets me know I am not invincible and at any time my life can change. It may be I lose my job but I still have all of my possessions. It may be I lose all my material items but I still have my life. Either way, a tragic accident lets me see how lucky I am. It's sad what is happening in the world. I wish mother nature and everything else we can not control did not get as upset as let us go on in our happy lives. Too bad we won't get that wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment